2013 TOWNSHIP NEWS AND INFORMATION
* For your information: U.S. Census numbers for Casco Township year 2000 - 4,747 year 2010 – 4,105
* 1 new home building permit issued in 2012
* There were 61 property transfers in 2012
* The Casco Township Zoning Ordinance and selected permits are now on the Casco Township website www.cascostclair.org.
* The Casco Township office hours are 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. To contact the Township offices: Telephone: (586) 727-7524; Fax: (586) 727-3034; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org; Website: cascostclair.org. Notary Public service is available at no charge to all Casco Township residents. Shelly Baumeister our Township Assessor holds office hours on Wednesdays. The Casco Township Board meetings are on the first Tuesday and are televised online at www.nemctv6.org; and at Comcast Channel 6 for Richmond area residents.
* Community Transport: Richmond Lenox EMS provides to Casco Township residents no cost wheelchair/disabled alternative medical transportation services. This service focuses on door to door transportation, requiring prescheduled medical, diagnostic and outpatient procedures, banking, personal business (legal) and nutrition trips. The difference between their service and many other municipal transport programs, is RLEMS staff will go into the resident’s home, pick the person up, then after loading them into their vehicle and transporting them safety to their destination, their staff will unload the resident and help them inside. All RLEMS wheelchair van drivers are certified in first aid and CPR. There is no charge for this service, although donations are accepted. Riders must call with at least one week notice. Rides are scheduled on availability. Please contact (586) 749-7713 to schedule.
* 2012 Fire Runs breakdown provided by Ira Township: Fires: 21; Personal Injury Accidents: 11; Medical Emergencies: 97. Total Runs: 129.
* 2012 total number of runs by the Richmond Fire Department – 106.
* The total number of Richmond-Lenox EMS runs to Casco Township in 2012 were 298, of that, 226 were emergency and 72 were non-emergency.
* Casco Township is covered by Richmond-Lenox EMS for ambulance service. Except for ˝ of Section 24, everything North of Meisner Road is covered by the Richmond Fire Department, ˝ of Section 24 and everything South of Meisner Road is covered by the Ira Fire Department. Burning Permits are available in the Richmond fire service area at the Richmond Police Post; or online at www.richmondmichiganpolicedept.com; and in the Ira Township Fire service area at the Ira Township Fire Department, or by telephone at (586) 725-7771, or (586) 725-1415. Burning permits are issued to all residents at no charge.
* In 2012 the voters of Casco Township approved a Road Millage of 1 mill for four (4) years.
* In 2012 your millage paid for the following: Limestone on North-South Roads – 8,161 tons (16,322,000 lbs.), Chloride 88,000 gallons; ditch bottom swath mowing - $4,351.25; crossroad culvert – Puttygut Road -$2,911.00.
* We applied and were approved for matching money to replace failing bridge on Lindsey and Labuhn Roads. Work to be done in 2013 at a cost to Casco Township of $28,150.00.
* We applied and were approved for Federal and County funds to replace a failing bridge on Hessen Road between Springborn and Marine City Highway. Work to be done in 2015 at a cost to Casco Township of $23,050.00. The other bridge on Hessen Road between Springborn and Marine City Highway is also failing, but does not qualify for Federal money. We hope to apply for matching funds so work can be done in 2014.
* In 2012 we applied for matching funds for ditching but not approved due to low priority and lack of match money at the County.
* In 2013 we plan on putting approximately 500 tons (1,000,000 lbs.) of limestone per mile on all East-West roads along with chloride and ditch bottom mowing on all roads.
* Please be aware that Church Road and Meisner Road are designated County roads and the County Road Commission is responsible for their maintenance.
* Indian Summer Recycling, Inc. will be offering compost to Casco Township residents on Saturdays,The third Saturday in April through the third Saturday in June from 8:00 a.m. until 12:00 noon.
There is a 5 yard limit and no commercial vehicles are allowed. Thanks to Fred and Bob.
* Casco Township residents often serve on boards and commissions. If you like fun and excitement and a chance to learn how your local government works, please stop in or contact us. We will keep your name on file and if a vacancy occurs, you will be contacted to see if you are interested. Current Board and Commission Members:
* Planning Commission: Eric Reeve, Jennifer Andersen, Wayne Baumgarten, Cynthia Goulston, Sue Macker, Stanley Pankiewicz, and Joseph Stevens.
* Zoning Board of Appeals: Wayne Baumgarten, Daniel Goulston, Barbara Cole, Sandra Bishop and Hugo Mancini.
* Board of Review: Diane Griswold, Roger Sloan, Chris Stevens and Bob Wesolowski.
* NEMC (Comcast) Representatives: Richard Liedecker and Wayne Baumgarten.
* A County Drain Board of Determination has ruled that an engineering study needs to be done at Church and Lindsey Roads to alleviate annual flooding. This work is to be done as part of the Meldrum Drain Assessment District.
* Casco Township residents have the opportunity to participate in the community programs offered at the Regional Youth Complex called THE AUD, located at 68931 Main Street, Richmond. Because of Casco Township’s contribution through our Parks and Rec fund to the creation of the Aud and childhood programs, preschool programs, sports, drama, music and the arts all have found a home at The Aud.Look into the possibilities for your family at www.richmondaud.org or e-mail at email@example.com, or telephone (586) 430-1039. All Casco Township residents in all school districts are eligible for the Township discount at this inventive facility.
* New businesses in Casco Township: Adair Salvage/Gun Sales; CCI Driveline, Clausen Collision and Blue Water Engine.
* 2012 Court cases: 5783 County Line Road – in 2011 the Planning Commission denied a site plan application from Rondigo. Rondigo filed an appeal which was dismissed. The case is still open, waiting for final language to close it.
* Thank you John Kretzschmar and Jeanette Wroblewski - Board of Review; Lorene Lomerson - Planning Commission; David Riedel and John Thelen - Adair Cemetery; and Trade Mark Construction and Supreme Electric - work on the Township Hall.
* Adair Cemetery: 1 lot sold; 2 committals. Thank you to Mr. Bernard Pearl for updating the cemetery map and compiling a book listing those known to be buried there. Copies of the books and disc are available at the Township offices.
* The Casco Township 2013 Annual Meeting and Budget Hearing will be held on Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 7:00 p.m. at the Township Hall.
* If your group or organization is hosting an event, you can have it announced on NEMC Comcast channel 6 by contacting the Casco Township offices; or on the Casco Township website by contacting Township Clerk, Patricia Allagreen.
* FYI – The Township was contacted by a California company that is interested in constructing a solar farm in Casco. We will see what happens.
* Michigan Meadows Golf Course submitted a site plan that included a mining permit to excavate 2,000,000 yards of dirt and transport it to Pinetree Acres. The initial plan needed to address many issues and they indicated they would be coming in with a revised site plan in January. In early February, the Township was informed by Michigan Meadows that the plan was no longer viable and the whole matter is done.
* Work continues on the Belle River Watershed Management Plan. For more information, go to project website www.sccwater.org. River Day, a County wide event focused on our waterways and
natural resources, will be held on the weekend of June 8 – 9. Info can also be found on the website.
* Recycling: Recyclable items (glass, plastic, paper) can be taken to the Smiths Creek Landfill – 6779 Smiths Creek Road, phone (810) 989-6981 or (810) 985-2443; or Pinetree Acres Landfill – 36600 - 29 Mile Road, Lenox, phone (586) 749-9698. Household Hazardous Waste can be taken by appointment to Smiths Creek. A list of Hazardous Wastes accepted is available at the Township offices or on the St. Clair County website.
* Work done on the Township Hall in 2012: New floor handicap ramp; cover all wood on east entrance with vinyl/aluminum; replace siding south side of offices; repair gutters, downspouts and discharge lines; repair shingles on offices and storage building; new electric meter box, service, cable and interior work and repair two (2) culverts in front of the Township hall.
* The St. Clair County Road Commission is planning on resurfacing and paving 3 feet of shoulder on 4 miles of Marine City Highway (Meldrum Road to Starville Road) this summer. There is no scheduled completion of Meisner Road.
* The annual Adair Suckerfest will be held on May 5th. Proceeds go to the Salvation Army.
* The residents and businesses in Casco are responsible for having their trash picked up. Information including names, phone numbers and day of the week service is available at the Township.
* Reflective address signs are available from the Richmond-Lenox EMS. Phone – (586) 727-2184
and the Ira Township Fire Department Women’s Auxiliary. Phone – (586) 725-1459, at a very reasonable cost.
* The St. Clair County 4H Fair at Goodells Park – July 22-27
* The Washington Life Center, 403 N. Mary, Marine City, offers a variety of programs and meals designed for senior citizens. Call (810) 756-3523 or go to www.thecouncilonaging.org for
activities and meal times.
* Lakeshore Legal Aid is a not-for-profit law firm providing a wide range of free civil legal services to low income people and seniors age 60 and older in our communities. This includes, but is not
limited to estate planning and medical directives. Lakeshore is located at 803 10th Avenue, Suite C, Port Huron, MI 48060 – Phone (810) 985-5107.
William Ruemenapp, Supervisor Patricia M. Allagreen, Clerk Colleen Stover, Treasurer
Daniel Goulston, Trustee Joseph Stevens, Trustee
Brenda S. Loper, Deputy Clerk Linda Thueme, Deputy Treasurer
Casco is glad to welcome our a new Assessor, her name is Shelly Baumeister. She is in the office on Wednesday, or you can email her.
We are glad to announce that we have got new emails for everyone in the office. Here they are:
Supervisor firstname.lastname@example.org Clerk email@example.com Treasurer firstname.lastname@example.org
Regular Meeting Dates
July 2 nd - Monday (Due To Holiday)
August 6 th
All Meetings are held on the first Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. Except where noted. We are closed for all legal holidays.
Casco Township Planning Commission Dates for 2012
January 15, 2013
Meetings are at 7:00 p.m.
Casco Township Zoning Board of Appeals Administration Meeting Date
Are sold at Casco Township
December 1st, through March 1st each year
Spayed/Altered dogs are $12.00
Non spayed are $22.00
MARCH 1ST ALL DOGS ARE $40.00