This township composed of town 4 north range 15 east, was set off by act of March 15, 1849, from the township of China. The source and meaning of the name are uncertain, but is probably is derived from the town of Casco in Maine, and may have been suggested by Captain John Clarke of China, who came from Maine.
The resident owners upon the assessment roll of 1840 were: Section 1. William Fenton, John Tappan, Elijah and Cortland Lindsay; section 2. Orange Fenton, Richard Freeman; section 5. Dennis Bates; section 6. James Reynolds; section 10. Hiram A. and Alonzo Allen, Charles Davis; section 11. Phineas Kinyon; section 24. Claude Duchene; section 25. Francis Phenix; section 26. Moses Duchene.
The St. Clair branch of the Michigan Central Railroad traverses the north end of the township, and it contains the unincorporated village of Adair, named by the English contractor who constructed the railroad.
The population statistics of the township are: 1850, 134; 1860, 1,084; 1870, 1,992; 1880, 2,212; 1890, 1,811; 1900, 1,722; 1910, 1,413.
Supervisors: 1849 William Hart; 1850, Porter Chamberlain; 1851-1852; Horace S. Clark; 1853, Flavel P. Chapin; 1854-1856, Stephen A. Fenton; 1857, Horace S. Clark; 1858-1863, Stephen A. Fenton; 1864, John A. Hirt; 1865, Julius Granger; 1866-1867, John Hirt; 1868-1871, Fred Bielman; 1872-1876, William Miller; 1877, Edward March; 1878-1880 William Miller; 1881-1883, Jacob L. Kellar; 1884-1886, William Miller; 1887, Jacob L . Kellar; 1888, William Miller; 1889-1892, Jacob L. Kellar; 1893-1903, Joseph M. Winkle; 1904-1907, William Koch; 1908, Charles Zentgrebe; 1909-1911, John Rewaldt.
Casco Township was organized in 849, with William Hart, Supervisor, while yet its population did not exceed 134 souls. All sections of the township are within easy distance of the St. Clair, and of the Grand Trunk Railroads. The equalized valuation for 1882 is $395,680; the number of acres, 22, 755; the population, 2,212 including 863 children of school age. Among the first permanent settlers were A. Tappan, H. A. Allen, Denis Bales and R. Freeman. In the following list of early land purchasers, the names of other old settlers are given.
Early Land Buyers
Among the early land buyers in this township from 1828 to 1836, were Gardner Freeman and Andrew Westbrook, 1832: William Tenton, 1834: William Cash, Lot Clark, Stephen Warren, L. B. Mizner, Selden Freeman, Elisha B. Strong, Hiram Smith, W. B. Smith, John Thomas, Charles Cook, Edwin Jerome, Francis Dwight, Dennis Bates, Charles B. Keeler, Henley Smith, Seth Boardsley, John Starkweather, Nathaniel Reed, Ira Porter, Abner Porter, James Seymour, Levi Tuttill, George E. Hanns, Mary M. Gallagher, H. R. Mizner, Richard P. Hunt, H. A. Allen, Charles A. Cook, T. L. L. Brent, Benjamin Raney, Olive Hart, Phineas D. Kinyon, R. Knight, H. F. Daniels, Joseph Hall, Eli Stone, J. M. Flagg, Christian Clemebs, J. G. Street, H. Agene, N. Godell, John Webster, S. P. Gill, W. T. Westbrook, Dolorah Hill, T. O. Hill, Patrick Healey, James Seymour, Joseph I. Seidmore, Bayard Clark, George F. Brown, James Edwards, Mark H. Sibley, W. P. Halistt, Wesley Truesdell, Anthony Chartier, Antoine Dronillard, Andrew Turck, Sylvester F. Aiwood, Sylvester Armington, Reuben Moore, John Tellman. Portions of Sections 35 and 36 formed part of the Indian Reservation.